At Facebook, we are committed to doing our part to protect and safeguard the integrity of elections by ensuring that the accounts of politicians and political parties are secure and that people have access to reliable information and diverse perspectives.
Facebook’s Canadian Election Integrity Initiative is a direct response to the Communications Security Establishment's Cyber Threats to Canada’s Democratic Process report.
- The launch of a new 2-year partnership between Facebook Canada and MediaSmarts to promote digital and news literacy;
- The release of the Facebook Cyber Hygiene Guide for Politicians and Political Parties, to support information security;
- The launch of an emergency Canadian Facebook Cyber Threats Crisis Email Line, in the event of cyber interference including suspected hacks; and
- Starting in November, people will be able to click “View Ads” on a Page and view ads a Page is running on Facebook, Instagram and Messenger — whether or not the person viewing is in the intended audience for the ad. We will start this test in Canada and roll it out to the US by this summer, as well as broadly to all other countries around the same time.
- In June, we launched third-party fact-checking in Canada with Agence France-Presse (AFP), an International Fact-Checking Network-certified fact-checker. AFP will have fact-checkers in Canada review news stories on Facebook in English and French and rate their accuracy.